Friday, April 16, 2010


When I think about our little heated discussion that we had the day in class about things like the future and what it had in store for us technology wise I think about robot people. I think that we need to take a serious look at whats going on around us and see that we need to keep ourselves in check and be sure that we are not relying on technology too much. it has been said that 97% of children today play video games for more than three hours a day. I feel that this is just one example of how we abuse technology. I believe that kids use this as something to do instead of going outside or reading, and parents use this as a babysitter. The technology is so great that we have now, it can help us in so many ways. I just don't want people to not be able to help themselves. I want to see the day where people are able to use a chip to store information in their brain, but I don't want to see the day when everyone uses this chip to do everything for them. I cant say I will ever use a chip but it is all just part of history that I can see happen. Technology will continue to advance whether I want it to or not, I just want it all to be used the right way.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think that we do need to keep ourselves in check. I think that just because we have the ability to have this technology doesn't mean that we should use it. Imagine the type of health problems we will have in the future because of the technology advancements. Look at the obesity, eyesight, and reality issues we have from video games and other things like that. We are meant to be active and engage our minds. Not sit and let them go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moderation is the one of the biggest keys to success. Encouraging a healthy lifestyle through education in different activities yields a richer return. If we humans fail to successfully moderate, then we will become extinct. This is why diversity is such an important concept for education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right! Our society has gotten carried away with technology. It is so great that we have forgotten about other great things, like being outside and reading. That statistic about 97% of children playing videogames for three hours a day is completely out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be willing to bet that many of the social problems we see today are not the result of excessive video game use or TV watching. Rather, its a result of parents working longer hours for less money resulting in children who are left to fend for themselves at an earlier age. The great promise of technology, that it would make our lives easier and hence better has largely failed. How is it that with this explosion of technology that the average person works longer hours for less or stagnant wages?

    ReplyDelete