Thursday, April 15, 2010

Did IS 215 Just Get Interesting?


The last few class periods have been full of discussion based on case studies and analysis that Dr. Drake issued to us. These cases created class discussions full of similar and opposing viewpoints. And for the first time this semester, made us as students think just a little outside the box. When I first signed up for IS 215 I imagined that we would be in front of computers learning ins and outs of technology. I thought I may learn short cuts for different programs or how to effectively use search engines based on specific topics. I was obviously wrong.....
As all of you know IS 215 is a lecture driven course designed to inform students about the history, current use, and future of Information Systems. Unfortunately for me, this was a subject that I had no interest in....until the last couple of weeks of class.

The case studies have made me look at Information Systems in a completely different way. Just when I thought the class won't teach me anything, I may be proven wrong by the end of the semester. During our in class discussions I've had the opportunity to listen to a lot of different thoughts and opinions...some a little more dramatic than others. But as a student, I believe that is where the real learning takes place; when I can hear the thoughts and opinions about a subject from those around me.

I think I may be surprised when I walk out of room #221....or I may be getting a little ahead of myself.

6 comments:

  1. definately the last few class periods have been interesting talking about comapnies selling our information for other companies and if it's right or wrong to do so. really enjoyed those discussions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the class has picked up toward the end of the semester. It's better to change up the class style and hear everybody's views. Today was very interesting, but some is fictional in my opinion. Before the case studies. We really wasn't learning that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree and disagree with Spencer's blog. While I agree that class has been interesting discussing case studies, but I think it has been interesting the whole semester. While I.S. is a topic I previously had no interest in, I think that is what made it interesting. I learned that there is a lot more to I.S. than I ever thought. Just opening my mind to learning about things I previously felt disinteresed in has really changed my impression of I.S. Stephan said "We really wasn't learning that much", but I think that is debatable. One gets out of a class what one puts into a class. Not learning was not an issue of a lack of information being presented, it is a lack of commitment by the student. Then again, perhaps I shouldn't put so much merit into a comment made by a college student who can't be bothered to use proper grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way when first coming to the class, but it really has gotten interesting towards the end. I learned more than I ever thought I would, and I enjoyed all of the different opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that class has gotten very ineresting lately. I have learned a lot more in this class all the way through than I thought I was going to. Some of the blogs have been very informational and others entertaining. A lot of them are about subjects I would not have thought to much about until they were blogged about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really glad that we have had these case studies. In the end i don't think it is about what is right or wrong in the discussions. I think that it helps us find out what our view is on different issues. I know i don't have a firm side on much. I think it is because i don't have many discussions about these types of things.

    ReplyDelete