Thursday, April 8, 2010

Health Risks of Cell Phones

We all rely on our cellular phones, maybe more than we should. In fact, almost everyone has one, and as technology advances, we tend to use them more and more. Technology makes are lives easier, but do we ever stop to think about the risks? Did you ever think your cell phone could hurting you instead of helping you? When I received my first cell phone at the age of 16, my parents were very happy because I could call them and let them know my location or let them know if I ran into problems since I was a new driver. They never stopped to consider the amount of time I might use my cell phone (though I was told not to drive and talk), nor did they know it was hurting my overall heath. If they would have known, maybe I would not have received a cell phone at such a young age.

So what is the biggest health risk of using a cell phone? It seems like a device that is very useful. However, if one is not careful, it could be damaging to one's health. In one study, it was found that radio frequency radiation from wireless phone antennae caused "genetic damage in human blood." Another case study found an "increase in neuro-epithelial brain tumors among cell phone users." This is mostly a result of using a cell phone all of the time, but isn't that what people are doing more and more? I often talk to my boyfriend for hours on the phone every day. I see other people who are on their phones all the time. But my biggest concern is that kids are receiving these devices at a younger age. What is this doing to the development of their brain if they are using this device all the time? For more information on studies, and to find out how these risks are affecting companies, go to http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/08/02/cell.phone.liability.idg/.

These risks seem pretty scary, but it seems like there is nothing we can do to avoid it. In a technology-based world, we need our cell phones. Therefore, I would like to share some information with you on what you can do to decrease risks to your health. Wear a headset and clip the phone on your belt so you are moving antenna far from your head to reduce risk of brain cancer. Buy a hands-free kit for your car and use an external antenna. Don't let your children use your cell phone on a regular basis. Avoid using a cell phone while pregnant. Check the radiation information that the CTIA (the International Association for Wireless Telecommunications) mandated for inclusion in all cell-phone boxes. Buy a cell phone with the lowest radiation output. With doing all of this, you can stay healthy and continue to participate in this world of growing technology.

1 comment:

  1. I practicly live with my phone in my hand but moslty texting. People will not take the health risk seriously until it affects them personally. Hopefully there will be newer safer technology soon.

    ReplyDelete