Monday, April 12, 2010

Morals


Well today in class, we talked a lot about business ethics and morals. While we were discussing this, I kept thinking about my job. I have worked at a fast food restaurant for almost three years now. I never really thought about it, but there are some immoral things that all fast food places do. Now I don't mean things like spitting in food or nasty things like that, but known facts that people know about, but rarely think about. Would people continue to eat at fast food restaurants if they knew all of the things that I do? I think each person is different, and that is a choice you personally have to make.
Now one thing that I think is kind of immoral is the burgers. Some people don't know that the burger that they order could have been sitting under the heat vent for a long time, even though the employees are supposed to throw away the old meat. Most employees don't, because it costs money to waste all of the extra meat that was made, and making money and not wasting food is what the business is all about. Today in class, I felt bad for all of the times that I've sold burgers to people who had no idea that they were eating food that isn't really fresh. It is actually gross to think of how long that meat could have been under the heat vent, and how it is still okay to serve it to customers.
But does this make where I work immoral or unethical? I don't think so. I feel that most people, now a days, know that when you order food, it is always pre-cooked or even pre-made. If the customer would like a fresh burger, all they have to do is ask. I'm not saying what fast food places do is right, but in order to remain in the competition between other restaurants, they need to be fast. So, again, the question arises. Is it immoral?

7 comments:

  1. This is a really great example of ethics in business. I don't think it is immoral, because most people who eat at fast food chains are aware that the food isn't going to be great for them. But in cases such as spitting in food, that's disgusting and definitely wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all business have workers that have done immoral or unethical things. From lying to theft and other things. I think a lot of it comes from laziness or just not caring. Sometimes people think they are doing things to help but it's not right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really important to have business ethics and morals. For example Bernie Madoff wasn't morally correct and it just leads to something bad. He was a business owner and he stole over 50 million dollars from his clients over 10 years. He's now serving time in a federal prison for over 100 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw a presentation at the student about the Dominos situation where 2 employees in North Carolina were video taping each other sabotaging people's food. They are being charged right now and will go to prison. Some people are just plane Dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a excellent topic. I cannot eat a fast burger if my life depended on it. These companies are selling raw meat to customers and no one believe me. Old meat is reused the next day, and its disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, on this topic, I had a first hand experience with this because I worked at a Burger King for about a year when I was 15 years old. Now, I'm not sure exactly what fast food place your talking about but while I was working at burger king it was a little different. We sent the meat patties through the broiler machine(not sure if that was the exact name of it) and then we would put them in the trays under the heat vent. we had buttons next to every single heat vent that had a timer on it and when u filled up a tray and put a new one in, you would reset the timer. I don't specificaly remember how long they lasted for but they were maybe around 45 minutes or so and then we would toss them. They were never saved or re-used later or anything like that, just went straight to the garbage. If they've been sitting around all day, yeah thats pretty disgusting. We would have customers ask for a fresh burger or whatever it was, fries, etc. so you are right, all they have to do is ask. I mean, it was burger king, so they try to follow their motto the best they can "have it your way".
    In all seriousness though, I think people know what they're getting when they order fast food. I mean, they want it quick and its cheap, they know their not going to be getting any 5 star restaurant burger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha. No. I was referring to the fact that the food you are eating isn't like a day old, only like 45 mins or whatever. But yeah if the food was a day old and being served, then that isn't right.

    ReplyDelete