Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Network Administration

Ever since high school I have been told that the IT industry is the fastest growing field in the world. According to CNN.com, the IT industry has 5 of the top 6 fastest growing jobs. Due to these stats, I enrolled in a technological university after high school and wanted to pursue a career in network administration.

Basically, a network administrator is an individual who is responsible for the maintenance of computer hardware and software that comprises a computer network. People in this career earn an average median salary of $58,000 a year. This job field is expected to grow by over 27% in the next couple of years. The field is expected to grow because more and more businesses and organizations are adding computer networks and all of these networks need administrators. Some pros of this field is the lack of training required compared to other tech jobs, and the constant exposure to advanced computer tasks. Some cons of network administration include the lack of recognition until something goes wrong, must handle a large variety of problems, and the possibility of being "on call" for a business that operates 24 hours.

I went to school for network administration for about 2 years. This field came very natural to me and I even held a job as a network administrator assistant. However, due to the constant repetitious problems, I quickly decided this line of work was not for me. After taking this class I have looked back at my former job field a researched it a little more. Maybe I will end up going back to this rapidly growing job market.

1 comment:

  1. It is really cool that you were able to experience your 'dream' job. I think that it is also good that you get to see that after all it might be for you. It is a valuable experience to see that a job may actually be for you after stepping back to see what is out there.

    ReplyDelete