Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hide your Facebook from your Employer


Well if you're thinking of applying for a job with a dirty facebook? think again. most employers now check the persons facebook before they hire them to see who they are hiring. A recent survey commissioned by Microsoft found that 70 percent of recruiters and hiring managers in the United States have rejected an applicant based on information they found on their facebook.
What kind of information? Inappropriate comments by the candidate, unsuitable photos and videos, criticisms of previous employers, co-workers, or clients. Even inappropriate comments by friends and relatives.
For better or worse, online screenings may be a permanent part of the 21st-century hiring process. The Microsoft survey found that 79 percent of U.S. hiring managers have used the Internet to better assess applicants. Big ten schools are looked at as big party schools, which many students are very upset about because it hurts their reputation of getting recruited by big companies. so if you're graduating in the near future and have a facebook, look at it and see if it's appropriate for your mom and dad to look at. many companies have software that can access your facebook without the person knowing, so don't think just because they are not your friend they can't see your information.
this is something new and it's staying for good, many of us should be careful on what we put in our facebook or other networking websites.

5 comments:

  1. I personally have come across a problem with a previous employer and facebook. I worked at Jimmy Johns and made a comment on their facebook page talking bad about the driving radius that us drivers were allowed to deliver to. I didn't think much of it because it blended into a sea of comments, but I sure was wrong. My manager came up to me a couple days after I posted my complaint and I was fired. Facebook's no joke!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that people need to be careful about what they post on facebook. I am a graduating Senior, so I have some advice for those of you who are fairly young in your programs. Everything that goes up on a social network stays there for 7 years, even if you delete it. There are still ways to find pictures, comments, etc. that were posted and then erased. Make sure you do not post anything inappropriate because you can not go back and completely get rid of it for many years. Make sure friends do not post back pictures of you as well, because that information can still be found, even if it is not on your facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly why I don't have a Facebook account anymore. I found no use in it whatsoever. I don't want my employer to see me with a drink in my hand at a party. I'm not a crazy person, but it still just looks bad to the employer. I'm sure pictures of myself are still up on Facebook under my friend's profiles. Even police officers can see a minor drinking on Facebook and possibly press charges. If you still want a Facebook, I recommend that you don't put up EVERYTHING, just the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SInce the Facebook and its rules and regulations are constantly changing, what I have to say next may no longer true, but from the research I have previously done, you are safe as long as you have no applications on Facebook On Facebook you can set your privacy settings so that only certain people can see things, allowing you to hide certain information. However, when you add an application and click "agree" to their terms and conditions, you are signing away all of your information to third party users. The creators of these applications have just gotten your consent to sell your information to others and this is how employers can get information on you. So, my advice is not to add any applications that Facebook itself doesn't supply you with. I also agree though that you should only have information posted that you wouldn't mind a grandmother, for example, to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good information. What seems harmless at one time of your life might not be at another time. We're at an age where we are not going to be looked at as just kids. It seems like no harm done now but in the next few years tryng to become professional adults it could come back in a bad way.

    ReplyDelete