Friday, April 9, 2010

Media Distribution


There is a convergence point that we are ever-so-slowly approaching in the realm of media. This point seems close at hand yet fully out of reach. The global network of wireless connectivity is going to make this point attainable, hopefully in the near future. My dream of full media distribution convergence is one where all of my media is available to me on any device, anywhere.

There seems to be two major barriers to the realization of this convergence. The first and most frustrating is the content providers. In their greedy attempt to extract every single penny out of every piece of media they own (which these days is just about everything), they have been reluctant to adopt new methods of content delivery. The only company I can see that really seems to be progressive on this issue is Netflix. They are currently working on a streaming application for Android phones and I believe there is already one for the iPad/iPhone.

The second barrier is bandwidth. Streaming of music, not to mention video, requires significant bandwidth capabilities, at least to provide a reasonable level of quality. These capabilities are literally on the verge of being available, at least in major metropolitan regions. But it appears that providers have been a bit slow in rolling out some of the next-gen cellular networks, and so progress toward this convergence point has been slow. It now appears that significantly faster 3G and 4G networks are poised to roll out to significant swaths of the US population.

All I really want is a service where I can upload the content I own to a provider's server and be able to stream that content anywhere I am, on any network, and to any device. I don't want to have to worry about lugging an iPod, and a laptop, or a hard drive around with me to access my media. I want to be able to have a wireless connection in my car that allows me access to my home-based media and stream anything from my collection. I want to be able to stream movies that I own to my phone.

Right now, the best workaround (although still flawed) I've found is Orb. You can read more about it on their website, but basically, you download their software which turns your home computer into a server. You tell it what folders you want to have available on the server, and then you can access any of the files within those folders from any device that is connected to the internet, and its free. You can access music, video, and files of any type. It sounds great, and it really is, but its still not at a level of quality or reliability that results in an experience that will have you leaving your iPod at home.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know Netflix was making those apps, but I'm not surprised. They are so innovative. I hope others working on media distribution will follow Netflix and progress content delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Netflix has been a company that has kept the consumer's well-being in mind because they know that it gives them business. Not only did Netflix have a first-mover advantage, but no other company trying to offer a rental service through the mail couldn't compete.

    Netflix also outsources some of its more complicated problems by offering competitions with prizes. The Netflix Algorithm Competition is very interesting. Check it out if you can.

    Micropayments are becoming an increasingly popular way for companies to suck your wallet dry like a vampire. It's a tactic to get the consumer to spend more than he or she initially intended. It's interesting that despite all of our consumer protections, consumers don't really have very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Netflix also offers streaming of watch it now movies and shows on the XBox, and they also just began doing the same thing on the Wii. I would also like to see more companies making the kind of technology that you talked about available (and to have those technologies that already do exist work better). It would be very nice to not have to lug around several devices everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the Orb technology sounds amazing, that is when it is as great as it could be. I've already decided that I'm not going to buy an Ipad because in a year or so, they will have the updated version out, which will be a lot better. So I agree with you, I wouldn't buy that until it is as good as it can be.

    ReplyDelete